Friday, September 3, 2010

It's a dirty job...


It's a dirty job, but someone's got to play in it!

My son hates to write, color or draw of any sort. He knows his letters in and out, but he just won't write them. I've been looking for ways to work around his fear of the dreaded "pencil". Waaay back when I was in 1st grade, I remember doing this exercise in school, and I remember it because I loved it! This exercise helps reinforce the mechanics of constructing the letters as well as builds hand strength. Here's what we did. I'd love other ideas too!

Shaving Cream Alphabet
Materials needed: a finger and 
shaving cream (the foam kind, I do not suggest the gel) or whipped cream
Optional materials:
alphabet flash cards (for a visual aid)
Directions: Simply learn to write the letters using your finger instead of using a writing utensil. And remember, get messy!


Looking back on my own experience with this project as a child, my 1st grade teacher was a brave woman for having a class full of kids doing this on their desks! We had the luxury of using our kitchen table, next to our kitchen sink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Homeschool Top Sites - Best Homeschool Sites on the Internet
Homeschooling Blogs
Powered By Ringsurf
Homeschool Gold