Friday, April 30, 2010

Light Years Behind

I'm having such a hard time finding good quality Science curriculum for Kindergarten! I have found plenty of books on experiments and nature readers, but nothing comprehensive. Sonlight has one, but it is expensive in my opinion and the reviews aren't so hot on homeschoolreviews.com. I like the idea of Sonlight using a bunch of resources and pulling them together with the teacher's guide, but I'm not sure if it is the right material for us.


Caleb is very much a visual learner, and he thrives on workbooks, textbooks and videos. I'm excited to do some hands on experiments too, but I'm really looking for a text that pulls all the science elements together in some way; even if it is just a teachers guide. The topics I really want to cover this year are insects, plants, weather, magnets (possibly), and creation. I want to go in depth with insects (doing an ant farm, butterfly kit & possibly a tadpole to frog kit). I've already ordered: My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things GrowOn Beyond Bugs: All About Insects (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library) and Inside an Ant Colony (Rookie Read-About Science)


I'm still looking at The World God Made, Christian Liberty Nature Reader, and Simple and Fun Science Simplified but I'm not sold yet. I really want to get my hands on them, hopefully at the conference this June.


There seems to be a huge lacking in Science curriculum for Kindergarten. I get that they are pretty young for anything in-depth, but I was surprised at the lack of options.


I'd love some feedback, what did you do with your Kindergarteners?



1 comment:

  1. Have you looked at www.areasonfor.com. They have a science curicullum that I'm looking at and it comes with everything!

    ReplyDelete

 
Homeschool Top Sites - Best Homeschool Sites on the Internet
Homeschooling Blogs
Powered By Ringsurf
Homeschool Gold