Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My official coming out

So, this is my official coming out. I am... going to homeschool my kids. I have been reluctant to commit, mostly because it is so counterculture and I really don’t want to face all the outside skepticism that comes along with the decision. This reluctance to commit stems from my own weakness, and I understand that if I venture to do this solely on my own, I will fail. I believe that with God’s help, this experience will be successful and fulfilling for both of us.

The intention of this blog is to post our hopefully weekly activities related to homeschooling. The creation of this blog is not to prove myself to anyone nor to brag (I’m going to assume we are going to have some achievements!), but to have a yearbook or portfolio for us to look at and celebrate. It also serves the purpose to keep friends and family in the loop so they can enjoy the experience too. Hopefully our triumphs and mistakes will challenge other homeschoolers as well.

To answer the question everyone asks or wants to ask, but doesn’t... WHY HOMESCHOOL? We (when I say “we” I mean this is 100% a joint decision between me and Dave to homeschool) created this list to bring clarity to our decision. These points can answer your questions as well as serve as a reminder to myself “why” during the trials. After a years worth of research and prayer (I have a library full of “reasons to homeschool” books) we have come to the conclusion to homeschool because:

- We want to be the main influencing source in our child’s life and that requires the majority of his time spent with us. We want our children to be positively socialized. This is a continuation of our beliefs that has led to me being a stay-at-home mom.

- We want to give him a tailored education that suits his specific needs and desires in order to instill a love of learning for a lifetime.

- We believe that God calls us to be responsible for the education of our children, and we feel that this is how we can best fulfill that call.

- We want to give him an education that integrates learning about God, and his purpose on earth. The goal is to raise him into a Godly man of integrity.

- We appreciate homeschooling's flexible schedule which is conducive to Dave’s changing work schedule.

- And lastly because we have the freedom to do so.

There is a particular verse that has inspired us in this endeavor:
Romans 12:2 (New American Standard Bible)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! Your reasons are varied and same as most of us who just simply care and feel responsible for our own children. May God Bless you in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete

 
Homeschool Top Sites - Best Homeschool Sites on the Internet
Homeschooling Blogs
Powered By Ringsurf
Homeschool Gold